Some people have contacted me with interest about Lone Star’s Top Five Most Wanted for the month of April. Some like to read these lists for the fun of it. Others like to keep tabs of others’ escapades, and see if what others’ criminal actions encroach on their interests in any way. Some look to these wanted lists as opportunities for jobs, such as collecting the bounties on these individuals’ heads. And still others — I’m looking at you, Kane — like to look at these lists to find out how far up on the list they’ve made it. (Sorry Kane, you’re not in the top five this month). So here is the list, with my comments on each one. If I don’t list the bounty on their heads, check with your fixer(s) — they’ll have it.
- Herman Dyar — Herman Dyar is an insect shaman who used to work with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta. In September 2073, he was revealed to be an insect shaman when he tried to merge a co-worker with a cicada insect spirit. This would-be victim promptly escaped before that happened and alerted Lone Star, which has been searching for Dyar ever since. In January 2075, Lone Star narrowed its search for Dyar down to New Orleans. As they pressed on with their investigation, leaked reports revealed Dyar contacted Lone Star and told them to back off, lest he resort to something drastic. Unfortunately, Lone Star continued to vigorously hunt the insect shaman in New Orleans, and in early February 2075, Dyar is believed to have delivered on his threat by releasing a highly contagious strain of antibiotic- and arcane-resistant pneumonia bacteria into the population of Daytona Beach. Seven hundred cases of infection were reported in the weeks that followed, and out of those cases, nearly 75 percent proved fatal. The strain itself was a genetic match for one that the CDC was working on and developing a treatment for. Daytona Beach was hit particularly hard financially from the attack, as the timing of the release of the bacteria caused almost all of the spring break festivities to be cancelled to prevent the bacteria from spreading to other parts of North America. So far, the pneumonia has not spread outside of Daytona Beach due to aggressive containment and quarantine measures by Lone Star and the CDC, but the Daytona Beach sprawl’s tourist industry and even areas in Florida near Daytona Beach have been decimated by this scare and continue to suffer due to this lingering threat. There is a five hundred thousand nuyen bounty on Dyar’s head, both for capturing the insect shaman as well as recovering any additional strains of diseases that he may have had access to from his time working at the CDC.
- Pura Severn — Pura Severn was a practicing shaman with the CAS Marine corps when she was exposed as an insect shaman. She fled apprehension on April 20, 2074, taking with her a dozen Marines who she allegedly infused with insect spirits. Based on her rank of colonel, the length of time she had served in the CAS Marine Corps (twenty-three years), and the opportunities she had to learn military secrets and compromise the CAS navy, there was a massive manhunt to find her and her spirits. The manhunt failed. Since that time, Lone Star believes Severn has relocated her base of operations to the Caribbean League in Miami. Although Lone Star does not have the contract for the Miami sprawl, they have private security contracts with individuals and corporations in South Florida. Beyond basic law enforcement, there is an additional disturbing reason why Lone Star is interested in procuring Severn: Six recruits in the Lone Star academy have been discovered to be flesh-form insect spirits. Although these bug spirits were eventually caught, they were perilously close to graduating and infiltrating LS ranks. These ant spirits were believed to have been the work of Severn. In addition, there have been an increasing number of attempts to compromise LS communications, particularly in units tasked with fighting and eliminating bug spirits, as well as attempts to sabotage LS’ arsenal of weapons designed to fight bug spirits. LS has been very tight lipped over how successful the bugs have been at these sabotage efforts.
- Melinda “Mimic” Wilson — “Mimic” forges high-quality SINs and is rumored to have manufactured and distributed nearly twenty thousand fake SINs last year in the CAS. Her work is tied to nearly twelve thousand claims of identity theft, and that tally continues to climb. Mimic is an independent, working for no one save herself. She occasionally employs three or four other forgers to help with the demand for her SINs. Many organized crime syndicates have expressed interest in either obtaining this talented forger for themselves or putting her out of business. Mimic is believed to reside in St. Louis, with safehouses on both sides of the border. With the quality SINs she is able to create for herself, she has no difficulty slipping back and spirits to UCAS and CAS territory. She is believed to be thirty-one years old and has connections with several local runner groups. She may not be particularly dangerous on her own, but her chummers are.
- Jasmine Yu — Yu is an Asian woman in her mid 30s believed responsible for running at least eight dream farms and six BTL dens throughout the CAS and UCAS along the east coast, operating them for the Large Circle Triads of which she is a member. Jasmine Yu often frequents Manhattan and has been spotted at the Lucky Star 99 in Chinatown. Lone Star has had difficulty capturing Yu, due to both complications with the Triads as well as jurisdictional issues with NYPD Inc. Yu also has enough financial resources and connections to make most problems go away, or to be tipped off before Lone Star or NYPD Inc. moves on her. If Yu is to be captured, it is likely going to happen by runners. Yu is considered extremely dangerous and has a contingent of Triad guards around her at all times.
- The Price of Liberty neo-anarchist group — This is a problem for Knight Errant, as they have the contract for the Boston Sprawl. However, the Price of Liberty has been agitating things with several smaller jurisdictions contracted to Lone Star. Lone Star needs to satisfy their clientele by apprehending these neo-anarchists, and they would love to show up Knight Errant by capturing a group that has proven so problematic for them in their own sprawl. Lone Star claims the Price of Liberty has committed acts of vandalism, theft of confidential information, and the leaking of said confidential information to embarrass companies and hit them with serious financial damage.